As a professional director in Hollywood who happens to be female, I've learned about gender disparity the hard way. My activism takes many forms:
- @womencallaction is where I tweet about gender equity issues in Hollywood. Follow @WomenCallAction
- I chaired the Directors Guild of America's Women's Steering Committee when I produced the 2013 DGA Women Of Action Summit, the first gender-forward political action event in the guild's eighty year history.
- I'm a frequent spokesperson on panels, in documentaries, on the radio and podcasts, and a contributor to journals, blogs, and the trades regarding women and Hollywood.
- I hire female department heads and crew. HERE NOW's crew was 90% female.
- I take leadership positions in organizations that promote women behind the camera.
- I mentor many women filmmakers.
In the news:
- Screenmancer - 9/14/17 "Venice Films Mostly Male & AFI 100 Movies List 2017, Not One by a Woman?"
- Indiewire / Women & Hollywood - 8/2017 "Plenty of Qualified Women Directors Are Ready to Fill the Ranks"
- Deadline - 1/12/2017 "Director Rachel Feldman Looking for ‘Fair Fight’ To Tell Lilly Ledbetter’s Story"
- KPCC "The Frame" 2/16/17 - Listen to an interview about gender discrimination in Hollywood
- Indiewire / Women & Hollywood - 9/2016 "Solutions for Hollywood's Woman Director Problem: Demand More from the Agencies"
- Bitch Flicks - 4/2016 "I'm A Lilly"
- Ms. In the Biz - 11/2015 "A Response to Maureen Dowd"
- Ms. Magazine - 8/2015 "Lilly Ledbetter's Fight for Equal Pay Comes To The Big Screen"
- Bloomberg Television Documentary - 6/2015 "Celluloid Ceilings"
- Indiewire / Women & Hollywood - 2/2015 "How To Hire A Woman Director"
- World International Perspective - 7/2014 "Illuminating the Relevance of Women Directing U.S. Media
- Indiewire - Women & Hollywood - 7/2014 "An Open Letter to Showrunners"
- Variety - 8/2004 "Who's Afraid of Women Directors?"