As a veteran woman director in Hollywood, I've learned about gender disparity the hard way. For several decades I've been writing and speaking about the relevance of not just employment equity, but of the global impact of having female voices behind the camera. As former chair of the Women's Steering Committee of the Director's Guild of America, and a former professor of directing at USC's School of Cinematic Arts, I'm a "go-to" source regarding gender inclusion in the film industry. You can follow me on Twitter @WomenCallAction.
I'm delighted to have been invited to join the 2018 #50WomenCan Change the World in Media & Entertainment Cohorts, & to have been interviewed in the Sundance selected HALF THE PICTURE, & several other documentaries about women directors.
In the news:
- The Wrap - 02/19/18 Time’s Up for Hollywood Agencies to Sign (and Support) Female Filmmakers
- The Wrap - 01/16/18 "‘I’ll Never Let Any Woman Direct Me': 11 Female Directors Recount Sexism and Discrimination"
- KPCC "The Frame" - 10/25/17 Listen to an interview connecting Hollywood's sexual harassment to employment discrimination
- The Hollywood Reporter - 10/21/2017 "How to Fix Hollywood's Toxic Gender Exclusion Problem (Guest Column)
- Screenmancer - 9/14/17 "Venice Films Mostly Male & AFI 100 Movies List 2017, Not One by a Woman?"
- Indiewire / Women & Hollywood - 8/2017 "Plenty of Qualified Women Directors Are Ready to Fill the Ranks"
- Deadline - 1/12/2017 "Director Rachel Feldman Looking for ‘Fair Fight’ To Tell Lilly Ledbetter’s Story"
- KPCC "The Frame" 2/16/17 - Listen to an interview about gender discrimination in Hollywood
- Indiewire / Women & Hollywood - 9/2016 "Solutions for Hollywood's Woman Director Problem: Demand More from the Agencies"
- Bitch Flicks - 4/2016 "I'm A Lilly"
- Ms. In the Biz - 11/2015 "A Response to Maureen Dowd"
- Ms. Magazine - 8/2015 "Lilly Ledbetter's Fight for Equal Pay Comes To The Big Screen"
- Bloomberg Television Documentary - 6/2015 "Celluloid Ceilings"
- Indiewire / Women & Hollywood - 2/2015 "How To Hire A Woman Director"
- World International Perspective - 7/2014 "Illuminating the Relevance of Women Directing U.S. Media
- Indiewire - Women & Hollywood - 7/2014 "An Open Letter to Showrunners"
- Variety - 8/2004 "Who's Afraid of Women Directors?"